Friday 27 March 2015

My Favourite Healthy Snacks

I confess I'm kind of а gourmand... (guilty as charged).  As a teenager I had a problem with overeating due to emotional disorder. I managed to loose the gained weight, but every now and then (mostly NOW!) I need something to chew on. Three years ago, I started looking more into the food I eat. I began reading the food labels and ever since I try really hard to avoid unpronounceable ingredients, preservatives, E-s, etc.

Due to this, I had to forget all about chips, snacks, sweets, honestly - most of the things you can find on  supermarkets' shelves. I still felt the need to munch on something between meals, though. And thus begun my quest for finding snacks as healthy and clean as possible. And guess what - there are such snacks! You can find and buy them at organic stores. But since I don't have one near my home or working place, I learned to prepare some by myself.

 1. Baked sweet-potato chips - (or regular potato for the salt fans) - this is heaven I'm talking about. Everybody needs to try this. It can be perfect for small children, too - when they cry for sweets or other junk food - just make them there. Crunchy and delicious - to lick your fingers. Here is Martha Stewart's recipe.
And this method of preparation can be applied to other vegetables, too - I've tried it with beet root and zucchini - and even some fruits like apples and bananas. Although, beetroot can make a lot of mess, so be careful with it or hire a domestic cleaner.
 2. Another of my favourites is celery dipped in peanut butter. At first, I thought that peanut butter is another american junk, but I found locally made kind that contains nothing else but roasted peanuts and salt and it taste so good. This is such an easy snack, you can take it on the go. Celery of course can be substituted with carrots, apple slices.

 3. And to feed my chocolate cravings I make these "Mint chocolate energy bites" by Sally from Sally's Baking Addiction. See recipe here. These are so easy to make and don't require baking.
For recipes and ideas with my favourite foods I just go on Pinterest and search. One can be easily overwhelmed there. The trick is to not look for recipes on empty stomach ;)
Dare to get the kitchen messy. You can always call for floor cleaning later.
Stay positive :)





No comments:

Post a Comment